What Can Bankruptcy Do for Me?
Bankruptcy may allow you to:
- Wipe out (discharge) your debts. Bankruptcy eliminates your legal obligation to pay your dischargeable debts. It is designed to give you a fresh financial start.
- Stop a wage garnishment, debt collection harassment, and similar creditor actions to collect a debt.
- Stop a utility disconnection or force a utility company to re-connect you.
- Stop foreclosure on your house and allow you an opportunity to catch up missed payments. Bankruptcy may also help with mortgage modification.
- Prevent repossession of a car or other property, or even force the creditor to return a car after it has been repossessed.